Comments taken into consideration
A material consideration is a matter that will be taken into account when deciding a planning application or on an appeal against a planning decision. This can include (but are not limited to):
- Local, strategic, regional and national planning policies
- Overlooking/loss of privacy
- Loss of daylight or sunlight
- Effect on listed buildings and conservation areas
- Design, visual appearance and finishing materials
- Previous appeal decisions
Non material matters which cannot normally be taken into account include:
- Matters controlled under Building Regulations or other non-planning legislation (e.g. structural stability, drainage details, fire precautions, matters covered by licences, etc.)
- Private issues between neighbours (e.g. land/boundary disputes, damage to property, private rights of access, covenants etc.)
- Loss of value of property
- Loss of a view
- Problems arising from the construction period of any works
How to submit a comment
After viewing the planning application, you can make a comment or object to it within 21 days of the formal notification date. You can do this in a number of ways:
- Accessing the online planning system. Search for the application and click on the comment tab
- Writing to Planning and Development, Pullar House, Kinnoull Street, Perth PH1 5GD
All comments must be accompanied by your name and full postal address as anonymous comments will not be taken into account. Whilst some personal information such as your address, emails and phone numbers will not be published, your comments including your name will appear on a public document and be displayed for public inspection. If you have any questions please email
Comments which include remarks which are of a racist or otherwise offensive nature will not be considered, and the writer will be advised of our concerns and asked to amend their letter, or it will be withdrawn.
After your comment has been submitted
Perth and Kinross Council will acknowledge receipt of your comment before it is placed on the online planning system.
Your comments will be considered before a decision is made on the application. The case officer will summarise your comments in the report on the application and assess their relevance. The full letter will be available to the decision makers whether that is a senior planning official or Councillors.
They will inform you of the decision on the application. Some applications take a long time to decide so it may be a number of months before you hear the result. You can follow the progress of an application by registering on the online planning system.